[TriLUG] my SAMBA problem

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 25 14:10:00 EDT 2002

This one be a minor problem compred to the other tread (I hope))
Here

Here are the basics:

1.  I have a win2k laptop at work with the directory "vtcdev" shared
2.  I want to mount that directory under /home/me/laptop

I can do this with the following command:

mount -t smb -o username=laptopUser,password=laptopPassword
//my.ip.address.here/vtcdev /home/me/laptop

Since this runs from the mount command I have to do this as root.  This means
that all the contents of /home/me/laptop are owned by root and I need to read
and write to this directory with my "me" user.  Changing ownership of the
directory to user 'me' doesn't work once the drive is mounted.

Any thoughts?  I checked the man page for mount and there is a "user" option
that allows users other than root to mount filesystems, but this only seems
to apply to filesystems defined in fstab.  I also tried linuxconf to see if I
could set the permissions on mount to allow my 'me' user.  No dice.

Greg

Any ideas?