[TriLUG] I'm in SAMBA hell

Vestal, Roy L. rvestal at rti.org
Thu Sep 26 08:59:49 EDT 2002

Ryan, we are setup the same way. Here's the SAMBA globals that work for us:

<snip>
        workgroup = domain_name
        netbios name = MACHINENAME (note - we've found that uppercase works
best with WINS/NETBEUI)
        server string = server_description
        security = SERVER (Note - Here is your secret to making SAMBA work
for NT domains)
        encrypt passwords = Yes (Note - definitely needed)
        password server = BDC_machine_name_or_ip ( note - we don't use our
PDC here to try and reduce the load, but you can)
        map to guest = Bad User (note - allows top level browsing and some
read only functions controlled in username map)
        username map = /opt/samba/lib/password.txt
        local master = No ( NOTE - This is CRITICAL. We've had servers take
over the server browse list handled by the PDC and BDC's and start trying to
authenticate other servers)
        wins server = wins_server_ip ( Note - It needs to be the IP not
machine name)
</snip>

The key we've found to work for us is the security=server line. It's kind of
misleading to use security=domain. security=server uses NT creds correctly.
Also make sure " encrypt passwords = yes " is there.

To add the machines to your domain (I'm assuming NT4/2000 domain), you need
to join the domain as an "NT 4.5" server. I create the account using
svrmgr.exe (just add the machine name to the domain), then use the following
steps to add the SAMBA server to the domain:

* login as root
* type "smbpasswd -a validuser" (use a valid user on the domain that is able
to add machines to the domain)
* type "smbpasswd -j domain_name -R BDC_machine_name -u validuser" (may need
fully qualified machine name, and use the same name as the one above used to
create the smbpasswd password/shadow files)
* enter validuser NT domain password when prompted for passwd

You may have to remove the server and recreate the files again. I've found
that it doesn't always the first time.

Finally, use SAMBA 2.2.x . We had issues with W2K boxes on 2.0.x and lower
and 2.1.x wasn't stable. Even though most distributions come with SAMBA, I
like to manually compile mine. Guess it comes from the old days of RedHat
5.x and 6.x and the fact that I do this for Solaris boxes as well.

O'Reilly's latest "Using SAMBA" is a great tool for this.

This setup seems to work pretty well. Hope this helps.