[TriLUG] MS gets smart - strikes deal with universities

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 29 20:10:23 EDT 2002

On Sunday, Sep 29, 2002, at 06:29 America/New_York, Sinner from the
Prairy wrote:

> A Diumenge 29 Setembre 2002 18:12, Matt Matthews va escriure:
>> On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 05:46:22PM -0400, Jon Carnes wrote:
>>> Microsoft has made a deal with University of Nebraska and is
>>> looking to extend that to other Universities. The university pays a
>>> big lump sum for a licensing contract and then all the students can
>>> purchase Microsoft products at Employee prices: WinXP OS for $4.99,
>>> Office for $9.99, ...
>
>> Why isn't this considered "dumping" product onto the market at
>> abnormally low prices?
>
> (...snip...)
>
> What is going to happen? Someone is going to sue them?
>
> I remember some time ago, that some company in the web browsing
> business
> (Nutscope or something like this), tried to sue them for openly
> breaking the law, being abcked by some big business and some federal
> and state attorneys. The result? None, zero, zilch.
>
> So, with that in mind, what is going to happen to Microsoft just by
> using some dumping techniques? Same. Or less.

> Salut,
> Sinner, asolutely disenchanted with the effects of justice on big
> business.

And then when you figure that M$ has the ability to do more damage to
the US Government, commerce, and Country as a whole than, say, NATO in
the 1970s it make you wonder why the courts went for the "catch and
release" approach with the monopoly trial.

Sick.

I will never purchase a Microsoft product again - except perhaps a
X-Box which I'll use for Linux (being as M$ is selling them at a loss I
may as well purchase one).  We should have a X-Box running Linux at
next year's Lulu, IMHO.

Greg