[TriLUG] my SAMBA problem

Vestal, Roy L. rvestal at rti.org
Mon Sep 30 10:34:05 EDT 2002

Real easy. I do this too.

Create a file in your home directory, I called it "sambacreds". Chmod to 770
and chown laptopUser.laptopUser. In the file put username and password, one
per line.
Example:
Username = laptopUser
Password = laptopPassword

Create the following in your fstab:
//my.ip.address.here/vtcdev /home/me/laptop  smbfs
credentials=/home/me/laptop/sambacreds,gid=laptopUser,fmask=775,dmask=775 0
0

This will tell the mount command to use the sambacreds file for the
credentials, set the gid to the user, while leaving the owner as root, set
the permissions for files and directories to 775 (rwxrwxr-x)

Hope it helps.