[TriLUG] In search of the walled machine at UNC

burnett at pobox.com burnett at pobox.com
Wed Oct 2 20:26:20 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Sinner from the Prairy wrote:

> I remember reading , some time a go, a bout a Linux box with an
> incredible uptime. This machine had been lost, and was only found after
> following the cable... and getting to a (now) walled room.
>
> Is this a real story? Is it an Urban Legend? Why I seem to remember that
> this box was part of UNC-Chapel Hill?
>
> Can any one conform / dismiss the story? Any link?

Never saw the box (or the wall) personally, but I remembered the UNC story
from last year as being a Netware server and not Linux. Here's a link:

http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20010409S0012

I'm sure someone directly associated with UNC can more authoritatively
speak as the the urban legendary nature of this story.

badger at trilug