[TriLUG] Server design help request

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Thu Oct 3 00:13:21 EDT 2002

as long as you don't run X you could probably do this with pentium 166.
  if possible, stick as much ram in the box as you can, that usually has
far more impact on performance than cpu horsepower.  if you can, i'd
suggest using a seperate machine for firewall/router/nat/dhcp in the
interest of security, ease of setup and administration, and
troubleshooting.  the file/mail/web services can easily run on one
modest box, especially if traffic is fairly low.  for easy setup it's
hard to beat smoothwall or ipcop, both can run on very low end boxes
(like a pentium 90 w/ 32mb ram and a 1gb disk).  that will free up your
main server for other duties.

for good DNS service you might also consider easydns, they offer DNS
hosting and support dynamic DNS updates.

jason