[TriLUG] Questions on dyndns.org

Bill Vinson billvinson at nc.rr.com
Thu Oct 3 12:43:26 EDT 2002

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 12:27:19PM -0400, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 11:57, Mike Mueller wrote:
> > I am researching this right now too.  Port forwarding on the firewall/NAT
> > seems to be the thing to do from what I've read so far.  Port 80 (httpd)
> > might be blocked on your ISP so you may need to get the dynamic dns to
> > translate port 80 to some other port number.
>
> Huh?  DNS is responsible for changing the hostname to an IP address.  It
> has nothing to do with port numbers.   NAT/masquerading firewalls can
> change port numbers, but that's unrelated to DNS.

Actually, that isn't completely correct. DNS has nothing to do with it
but Dynamic DNS services do. Some of these service will take foo.bar.com
and point it to 24.25.74.36:8080. So, yes DynamicDNS can take ports into
consideration, but it is not actually part of the DNS system that you
are thinking of.