[TriLUG] RH8 and Evolution Problem

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Sat Oct 5 18:13:49 EDT 2002

On 5 Oct 2002, John Beimler wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-10-05 at 16:58, Kevin Sonney wrote:
> > Me? I'm converting all my stuff to ogg, and that includes re-ripping
> > all my CDs. Ogg is free, and will continue to be free. Which is a good
> > thing.
> >
> Great idea, when the hardware vendors are convinced to put it in there,
> then I can convert.  Otherwise I have to maintian both.  So for now I'm
> sticking with mp3s till my Rio can play ogg files.

This afternoon I went to CompUSA to pick up an RHL 8.0 box set for a
friend.  (That way I can have them use Red Hat's installation support when
something breaks instead of havnig this somewhat annoying person bother
me!)  Anyway, the salesperson warned me that THL 8 didn't have mp3 support
in it!  I was (1) surprised that the CompUSA guy even knew what Linux
was, but he even knew about oggs and mp3s!, and (2) dissapointed, because
I wonder how this will affect Linux in general.

Sure, those of us in TriLUG know how to download the patch to get mp3
supoprt in xmms again, or are smart enough to learn how to use oggs.  But
what about the great unwashed out there who will just hear "it doesn't
play mp3s" from a CompUSA salesman?

I realize this isn't really Red Hat's fault, but they certainly aren't
helping things any by suddenly removing mp3 support like this.

--Jeremy