[TriLUG] RH8 and Evolution Problem

Bill Vinson billvinson at nc.rr.com
Sun Oct 6 01:28:38 EDT 2002

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 12:13:01AM -0400, Jon Carnes wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-10-05 at 23:53, Bill Vinson wrote:
> > I have already updated XMMS here under
> > RH8 to support mp3 and this is not enough to make me ignore RH's other
> > advantages for me over the likes of Mandrake...
> >
> > Bill
>
> Odd how I've never considered lack of support for IPSec and other
> cryptographic features to be an *advantage*! But I can see where you
> might like the less intuitive GUI interface that comes standard with Red
> Hat...
>
> Let the distro Jihad begin.
>
> Jon

Well, that is why I said "for me". Personally, I prefer OpenBSD and Mac
OS X now, but that is a choice I have made after trying things out. RH
is a good desktop, in my opinion, as of 8.0 much better than Mandrake
9.0 (but both pale in comparison to Aqua :)  I tend to feel that RH is
much more cleanly laid out than Mandrake. Also OpenBSD seems to have
better crytographic support at the lowest levels than any Linux distro.

HOWEVER :)  I use what works for me and suggest that others do the same.
Mandrake feels wrong in many ways and therefore I don't use it. I did
just load 9.0 to see how it was b/c I would never want to rule out an
option when they may progress farther/faster than what I am using at the
time. IPSec is not something I am using yet and as such have no need for
it, but I will be doing it in the future. BTW, it is supported out of
the box in Mac OS X and OpenBSD ;)

The long and short of it is, use what works and feels right for you...
Also, the last e-mail was meant more as a commentary on why I think RH
did what it did, not the start of a distro jihad. Most of you know I
don't care for Mandrake, but then again, most of you don't like Debian
and we both know that is just WRONG ;)

Bill