[TriLUG] mp3 support in Red Hat Linux 8.0

Ken Mink kmink at hotpop.com
Mon Oct 7 00:24:23 EDT 2002

On Sun, 2002-10-06 at 17:17, Matt Wilson wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 04:48:26PM -0400, Ken Mink wrote:
> >
> > P.S. Someone at RedHat needs to be bitch slapped for removing mp3
> > support from xmms on rh8. After installing a new version of the OS, I
> > wasn't expecting a lack of mp3 support to be the reason my mp3s wouldn't
> > play. That one took a while to diagnose.
>
> I hope you realize that people from Red Hat do read this list.
> Messages like this certainly don't give me warm fuzzies.  It certainly
> doesn't make me favor your point of view.

  Since I was the one that wrote it, I am here to apologize. I use xmms
to listening to streaming mp3 sites in the steel can that is my office.
I was having a crappy day Friday when I went to use xmms for the first
time on my fresh rh8 install. I wasted a fair amount of time until I
found a notice on xmms's site(yes, I should have checked the release
notes). Hence, my day got even crappy because of it.

  I am sorry you took it personally. I am a fan of RedHat. I really like
8.0 so far, with the exception of the mp3 issue. To remove functionality
is not what I use expecting to find and I worded my frustration badly. I
am sorry.

Sincerely,
Ken Mink