[TriLUG] help! weird sendmail problem

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 7 11:27:16 EDT 2002

The Facts:
Red Hat 7.1
sendmail-8.11.2-14
connected to my cable modem (outside interface)
connected to my small networks serving 1 pc (in case RR is listening)
(inside interface).

My outside interface appears to NOT be able to resolve it's domain name.  I
think this is a RR wide thing.  Is anyone running RR able to get a
resolvable DNS name on the Roadrunner interface on the RR network?  If so
how?  For instance, the command (issued from my linux box at work) 'dig
paloverde.nc.rr.com' does not return an ip address.  Does Roadrunner just
not update DNS entries or simply not support DNS for it's DHCP connected
devices?

My real question is this:

Because my outside interface is not DNS resolvable some mail servers will
not accept mail send from my box, an example of this is my employer, Lucent.
Saturday, a day which I was not even in town, my mail server attempted to
send mail to my work address 6480 times!!!  And it's been doing this every
stinking day.

Upon noticing this I freaked out, then stopped sendmail.  I looked in
/var/spool/mail and sure enough, there were references to lucent.com in the
three files in this directory.  I deleted every file in this directory then
restarted sendmail thinking this would stop the mail from going out which
had not already been delivered.

No luck.  My machine is still attempting to mail lucent.com and the files in
/var/spool/mail are still empty.

Any ideas on where to look to get rid of the files that is causing this?

Here's an example of what is showing up in my maillog:
4:03:18 paloverde sendmail[16406]: g95G0GT14652: to=gwbrown1 at lucent.com,
ctladdr=root (0/0), delay=16:03:02, xdelay=00:00:18, mailer=esmtp,
pri=86730161, relay=ihemail2.lucent.com. [192.11.222.163], dsn=4.0.0,
stat=Deferred: ihemail2.lucent.com.: No route to host

Thanks!!!

Greg