OT: Colorblindess (was Re: [TriLUG] Mandrake/Redhat usability.)

Glenn Hennessee hennesse at chemdept.chem.ncsu.edu
Mon Oct 7 10:57:24 EDT 2002

There is a free plugin for photoshop which will show an image as a
colorblind person would see it. The homepage is http://www.vischeck.com/
They also give some info and links to info about colorblindness. Another
interesting website is http://newmanservices.com/colorblind/default.asp
where you can paste html and it will show you how the page will look to a
color blind person. The numbers I have seen are around 10% of the male
population and 0.5-1% of females (it is a recessive gene on the X
chromosome).
glenn

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Tarus Balog wrote:

> Jeremy Portzer said:
> > On Sun, 2002-10-06 at 19:46, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> >>
> >> As far as the side progress indicators are concerned, do you have any
> >> numbers on how many people are red-green color blind *enough so that
> >> the side bar is useless to them*?  Also, like I said
> >> before, the sidebar, while nice, is not integral to the functioning of
> >> the installer.  You can do everything in the installer without having
> >> to worry about the sidebar.
> >
> > A large number of people are red-green colorblind; I've seen anything
> > from 8% to 12% of Caucasian males.  Anecdotally, my father is
> > colorblind, the guy across the hall is, and so is my next-door
> > neighbor.  (For females it's only about 0.5% of the population due to
> > the X-linked nature of red-green colorblindness.)  Almost all "real
> > world" interfaces, such as traffic signals and signs, retail packaging,
> > etc, is designed with this in mind.  There are plenty of other colors to
> > choose from!
>
> It's funny. OpenNMS has an issue in its GUI that affects those with
> red/green color blindness. We haven't really had time to address it, but
> we need to. I used to give training courses on OpenNMS, and the usual
> class size was around 10 people - almost always male. In *every* class I
> had at least one person with red/green color blindness.
>
> -T
>
> --
> Tarus Balog
> Consultant