[TriLUG] Buying a laptop with no Microsoft tax?

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Tue Oct 8 17:13:17 EDT 2002

John Beimler [john at radiomind.com] wrote:

> Folks, wake up. According to Apple's 10-K filing with the SEC, Microsoft
> owns at least "150,000 shares of Apple Series A nonvoting convertible
> preferred stock("preferred stock")".  They are directly profiting from
> any purchase at the Apple store, and especially if you pony up your cash
> for Office X.

And this has any thing to do with the Microsoft tax?  This causes Apple
to make each person/entity that purchases the system to add a licensing
fee?  Uh, no.

The fact that Microsoft has any stock in Apple is irrelevant.  Microsoft
owns a lot of stock, I'm sure.  I bet there's companies out there that
you hate that own stock in companies you love.  So?

This isn't about not giving money to Microsoft.  This is about not
having to pay a fee for something you will not use (or even like).

> Any PC you buy, part of the money is going to Microsoft somehow, some
> way, just deal.

Anything you buy, part of the money is going to Microsoft somehow, some
way, just deal.

Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost