[TriLUG] Road Runner and Linux (was: replacing a hard drive)

Mark Turner markt at siteseers.net
Wed Oct 9 11:54:09 EDT 2002

Jason Tower wrote:
> when i 'self-installed' RR a year or two ago, i seem to recall that i had
> to install a win32 app on my windows box to initialize the cable modem or
> something to that effect.

Hmm. Are you sure it was RR? IANARRE, but all the cable modem needs to
initialize is to get talking with the headend. I don't recall having to
boot my machine at all in order to get the modem itself working.

In fact, I've had a few good chats with some budding Linux users in the
TW support department. None of my dealings with TW has indicated any
real bias against Linux. Just don't expect them to jump in and assist
you with Linux if your modem drops offline.

Cheers!
Mark

--
   Mark Turner, N4JMT   Siteseers Inc.