[TriLUG] Slightly OT: *nix and XDMCP question

Vestal, Roy L. rvestal at rti.org
Wed Oct 9 13:12:50 EDT 2002

Yes, I want to run XDMCP

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Portzer [mailto:jeremyp at pobox.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 2:28 PM
To: trilug at trilug.org
Subject: Re: [TriLUG] Slightly OT: *nix and XDMCP question

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 14:20, Vestal, Roy L. wrote:
> I have a Solaris box OUTSIDE my firewall that has openSSH installed. I
> know there is a way to tunnel XDMCP calls through OpenSSH, but I've
> never done it before. I need to be able to get out to the server with
> W2K machines as well as RHL 7.x machines.

Do you really mean XDMCP, or just X?  XDMCP is for running a remote desktop
-- ie, a whole window-managed session -- while X itself is used for
displaying the individual windows.

If you're running X on your local Linux box, all you have to do is ssh to
the Solaris box and run the remote command, if you just want a single app.
Do not adjust the DISPLAY variable, do not give -display arguments, do not
pass go.  It should "just work," unless you've disabled X forwarding in
either the ssh client or server.  If so, check for the appropriate options
-- it should be obvious.

For Windows clients, they'll need an X server of some sort installed.
The best/most common ones are non-free; I don't have any experience with the
free ones.

--Jeremy