[TriLUG] cable modem caps locally (was: Re: Road Runner and Linux (was: replacing a hard drive))

James Manning jmm at sublogic.com
Wed Oct 9 13:20:44 EDT 2002

> [Mark Turner]
> Incidentally, you are perfectly within your right to own your own cable
> modem. TW will knock a few bucks off your monthly bill, too.
>
> I'm pretty sure that you first need to give them the modem's info before
> they will connect it to their network.

Incidentally, I just got TW cable modem service at my place yesterday
and while I was used to 2Mbit (250KB/sec) at the old house, I'm only
seeing around 800Kbit (100KB/sec) here.  I'm gonna setup a cron job to
do some fetches on an hourly basis to see if that's just a contention
thing, but it "feels" (since the speed stayed pretty much dead-on
constant) like it's a cap being done at the cable modem itself.

Incidentally, the cable modem is this translucent green shark fin kind
of thingy - a lot diff than the surfboard I had used at the old place.

1) What caps are in place at the cable modem these days?
2) What other caps might be in place (protocol/physical limitations, too)
3) Would picking up one of the old surfboards and connecting it have
   any chance of getting me back to the old 2Mbit/sec rates?

Ben? anyone?

Thanks!

James
--
James Manning <http://www.sublogic.com/james/>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4