[TriLUG] dead motherboard

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 9 21:28:28 EDT 2002

Well, I finally got around to putting my second Linux box together (AMD
1.9 Ghz, 500 meg ram, fast FSB, blah, blah).  Anyway, the motherboard
is dead which, I'm assuming, is due to static (it's been sitting around
for months and moved around (albeit in a static bag) many, many times).
  Anyway, so I have the chip and RAM.

I have two options and I"m curious for feedback.

Option one is fairly simple.

Take chip, get AS SMALL AS POSSIBLE board with two 10/100 interfaces,
built-in graphics, 2 USB, one serial, and that's about it.  I want to
use my fast RAM if all possible.  I'm talking about as tiny of a board
as I can find.  Does anyone know of a super-small board which will
accomadate AMD chips?  I want to use only the ports built into the
board and I'm not interested in running any cards.  I know of some mini
boards that take Intel chips, but I don't know of any that take AMD
with built-in graphics and dual 10/100 ports.  Anyone know of anything
like this?  A 1U board and case would be okay, but I'm looking for
REALLY, REALLY small to make a custom case for.

The second option is more interesting.

How about creating a diskless station to boot off CD (also replacing
the bios with LinuxBIOS) to use as my firewall.  The theory that I had
would be that if the OS is burned to CD and loaded into RAM at boot
then it would be harder to hack.  A hacker could gain access and
possible change some configurations but once it's rebooted from ROM and
the LinuxBIOS it should return back to it's original config.   I'm not
interested in running a web server but if I were I suppose I could
change the iptables file, burn a new CD and reboot and VOLIA - port 80
would be open and forwarded to my other machine.

Is a configuration like this possible?  Is it not a good idea?  Or just
a stupid idea for some reason that I'm not seeing in my sleepy fog?

Greg