[TriLUG] Re: Road Runner and Linux

Corey Mutter mutterc at nc.rr.com
Thu Oct 10 19:51:22 EDT 2002

I can recommend a particular way to go about the RR self-install. I
had to do this because I didn't need the full install, the Web site
where you sign up for self-installs just couldn't understand the
concept of "I already have cable", and humans on the phone wouldn't
sign me up for self-install.

I walked into the office on Atlantic Ave. and signed up. They handed
me a self-install kit with modem and Ethernet card. I literally went
home, connected the modem to the cable and the existing Ethernet, did
"dhcpcd -i eth1" and was up!

Then I set about building my firewall. No Windows machine needed, and
nobody had to enter my home. (I had rerouted an unused cable outlet
into my machine room, previously).

I can't speak as to the possibility / ease of getting support, but
guess the best bet would be to reproduce the problem against a
sacrificial Windows machine / partition, then report it...

Corey