[TriLUG] creating ISO images using Linux

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Fri Oct 11 22:18:03 EDT 2002

Greg Brown [gregbrown at mindspring.com] wrote:
> Neato.  This couldn't have been easier.  Here what you do:
>
> 1. mount the CD-ROM (we'll assume a mounted directory of /mnt/cdrom)
> 2. mkisofs -o cd.iso /mnt/cdrom
>
> This creates a the file cd.iso in the current directory (now, grated, I've
> tried to burn this to CD yet, but all signs point towards it will work).
>
> It's that easy.

And if that's a bootable CD rom, you've lost the boot info.  While the
above is fine for strictly data cd's, you'll find that if you burn the
resultant ISO to CD (and it was a bootable CD), you will not be able to
boot from it.

> I love Linux. :)

Linux is fun.  There's sooo many ways to do things, some of them wrong.
:)

Please follow the dd directions.  Much more likely to get what you're
after.

Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost