[TriLUG] help! Removal of RH Grub

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Sun Oct 13 01:08:14 EDT 2002

you don't really need to "get rid" of grub, you just need to overwrite the
MBR (master boot record) with a fresh bootloader.  frankly, i find LILO
easier to understand and work with than GRUB, you might try using that
next time.  when you reinstall the OS, make sure you delete or overwrite
the existing boot loader and you should be golden.

jason

PS - i usually find it easier to troubleshoot boot problems, especially
with GRUB, if i have a dedicated /boot partition on the first boot device
(i.e. /dev/hda1 or /dev/sda1).  100MB should be plenty.