[TriLUG] Is it necessary for fiber between buildings?

Mike Shaw mdshaw89 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 14 09:22:35 EDT 2002

I know this is off the Linux topic, but a Linux server
is involved if that helps . . .

Anyone know if it is really necessary to run fiber for
network and phone service between buildings(buildings
are roughly 100ft apart)?

The reason I ask is that we are being told that for
lighten protection it is necessary and that if we want
copper some sort of terminus on each end of the run
with lightening protection on it.  I'm wondering if
this is necessary since the cable would be ran through
a conduit that is underground and covered with cement.
 It would not be exposed to the outside at all.

TIA,

Mike Shaw

=====
---
Is your computer sitting idle?  Put it to work searching for extraterrestial
intelligence!  Checkout SETI at HOME at:http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/