[TriLUG] mail server

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Mon Oct 14 11:13:24 EDT 2002

Good luck.  Setting up a mailserver is probably one of the most
challenging things I've ever done.  Sendmail is not walk in the park to
set up.  I'd go with postfix for ease of configuration as well as better
performance.  Good documentation is available at tldp as well as
postfix.org.  RH has an rpm for it in 7.3 and later.  If it's just pop
you want, UW-IMAP will work fine.  Just install the rpm, turn it on in
/etc/xinetd.d/pop3d, and poke the appropriate holes in your
ipchains/iptables.  If you want something for IMAP as well, even if you
only have 10 users or so, I'd go with cyrus.

Postfix properly configured and all the rpms you need to run cyrus imap
are available from http://tis.foobar.fi/software/.  The best howto I've
found on smtp auth and secure smtp is at
http://howto.state-of-mind.de/index.html.

Again I wish you good luck.

Joseph