[TriLUG] Digital imaging on Linux

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Oct 14 22:14:08 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 19:24, Michael Winslow Czeiszperger wrote:

> On Monday, October 14, 2002, at 09:00 PM, Mike Mueller wrote:
>
> > Anybody have advice for getting started with digital cameras and
> > scanners on
> > LInux?
> >
> > Is it safe to assume that all major brand digital cameras will work
> > with a
> > Linux system for downloading images?
> >

> I've had real good luck using Gphoto with my old Olympus and its serial
> interface:
>
> http://www.gphoto.org

Hi Mike,

This is good advice!  Definitely check out the Gphoto2 camera
compatibility list before getting a digital camera for Linux!

Note that camera support in Gphoto2 ranges from excellent (which I'd
define as the ability to reliably control the full shoot-download-delete
sequence from the host computer), to good (ability to just download
images), to lousy (either doesn't work reliably or at all).

Our lab uses Kodak cameras that, in conjunction with Gphoto2 and a
simple PERL script, are able to take fantastic dime-delay movies of our
experiments.  All the newer Kodak cameras (DX-series) are becoming
increasingly cheap "consumer-grade" crap and they don't support (are not
capable of due to cheap-o firmware) computer-controlled captures.  So I
no longer recommend Kodak if you "want it all" in a digital camera.

However, if you're just looking for a basic model that allows you to
download images after a day of shooting, there are numerous models to
choose from and even the new Kodak units are perhaps acceptable for such
basic purposes.

good luck!
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/edhill.php
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483