[TriLUG] More speed problems (Athlon XP 2200+)

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Thu Oct 17 12:13:09 EDT 2002

most motherboards have multiplier settings in the bios that may or may not be
automatically set for all CPUs.  try setting things to autodetect or whatever
first.

it is also possible that the multiplier is correct but the base frequency is
not.  in your case, if the bus speed is set to 200mhz instead of 266 mhz,
that will essentially underclock your CPU.  some boards set bus speed in the
bios, some use jumpers.

i just bought a MSI K7T turbo board (KT133A chipset) that had the default
jumper set to a 266mhz bus speed.  so when i stuck in my duron 1000, which
uses a 200mhz bus speed, it showed up as a duron 1300.  but only for a few
seconds, after which it would crash or lock up.  setting the board jumper to
the slower 200mhz speed cleared everything up.  sounds like you have the
opposite problem.

jason