[TriLUG] If you can't get the latest dist. of Red Hat from NC, try Russia!!

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 22 20:26:04 EDT 2002

The following item was found in the lastest issue of Lockergnome's Penguin
Shell newsletter. I have also noted that many times it is faster to obtain
files from strange overseas sites than from the good ole USA.-- Al Johnson
========================

Long-Distance Distros
Scribbled by Steve Alston
"I recently attempted to download the Red Hat and Mandrake ISO's from both
their main sites and US Mirrors with little success. They were far too busy!

"However when I tried the 'Eastern Bloc' I had greater luck. I pulled the
three Red Hat 8.0 ISO's simultaneously down from the Russian mirror on the
day of release with each coming down at over 40kps. And no drop outs or
server resets.

"It seems strange that you can get something from halfway around the world
faster than from your back yard, but it's well worth trying!"