[TriLUG] thanks, Red Hat!

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 23 00:54:54 EDT 2002

The DMCA is the infamous "Digital Millenium Copyright Act" which was pushed
through Congress by a certain Senator from South Carolina who was partially
repaid by certain companies who have named one of the new DMCA chips named
after him!! Anyway the gist of the act is that it gives all sorts of new
protections to copyright holders while apparently not mentioning the rights
of the owners of recordings, VHS tapes, or DVDs. Nor, or so I'm told does it
mention anything about what is or is not so-called "Fair Use" which used to
be perfectly legal. For example, when writing a thesis or dissertation you
used to be allowed to quote (or use) parts of a written work to create
another written document. But I'm not an expert on this subject and I
suggest that you search Google (isn't this ironic) for "DMCA" to find out
more information. There is also a shadowy company in the Valley which is so
hated that its location is a secret the owners receive death threats almost
daily(this also is also discussed in an earlier issue of Wired Magazine)
because they have perfected a method of searching even peer to peer networks
for copyrighted materials. There is talk by some Congressmen that the DMCA
needs to be revised to balance the rights of the owners of copyrighted
products with the owners of the copyrights themselves. This to
counterbalance the great polical power best described as this Golden Rule:
"He who has the gold makes the rules".
-----Al Johnson