[TriLUG] NVIDIA drivers on RH8 crash the system

Dan Chen crimsun at email.unc.edu
Wed Oct 23 06:44:45 EDT 2002

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 11:41:33PM -0400, Jason Tower wrote:
> i downloaded the source rpms from nvidia's site, built and installed them (got
> a warning about renaming a few mesa files) and edited the xf86config file as
> directed, but X refuses to start.  in fact it crashes my entire system HARD,
> no console, no ssh, totally frozen.  reboot, rpm -e the nvidia drivers and
> restore xf86config and i can get X back, but i'd really like 3d support.
> double checked all configs and can't find any obvious mistakes.  it's a low
> end geforce2mx card that worked just fine under rh73.  any thoughts?

We've been seeing a fair number of these reports in #nvidia on freenode,
and I know there are least a couple different Bugzilla reports open for
it. My itching suspicion is differing compilers, but I'll have to hold
my tongue until the Nvidia guys get back to us.

-Dan

Dan Chen                 crimsun at email.unc.edu
GPG key:   www.unc.edu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc