[TriLUG] OT: Local Sun Equipment Liquidators

Mike Broome mbroome at employees.org
Tue Nov 12 14:40:34 EST 2002

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 10:45:49AM -0500, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 10:08, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday, November 12, 2002, at 09:26 AM, Jaimie Livingston wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Folks,
> >
> > Ahhhh!  HTML e-mail!  It burns my eyes!
> >
> Chris,
>
> I might suggest you check the setup on your mailer since your message
> was also HTML e-mail.  I'm guessing that Apple Mail emulates
> Outlook in that if you reply to an HTML e-mail it automatically
> formats your message as HTML.

Actually, to be a little pedantic, Chris' reply was not HTML, it was
text/enriched.  Looks similar, but it's less filling.

Both Jamie and Chris sent out e-mails that were MIME
multipart/alternative.  Jamie had a text/plain section (0.5K) and a
text/html section (1.8K).  Chris had a text/plain section (0.6K) and a
text/enriched section (0.8K).  The text/enriched has fewer tags and
formatting options that HTML so it tends to cause a little less bloat.

While I personally would prefer just text/plain, I appreciate both of
them (or their mail clients) sending multipart/alternative so my mailer
can display the text/plain section per my configuration.  I actually
didn't notice the HTML or enriched sections until Chris and Tanner
pointed them out. :)

Cheers,
Mike

--