[TriLUG] ...while we're talking about printers,

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Nov 13 09:35:21 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 09:10, Jim Ray wrote:
> any chance of getting a hint at making mine work?  i successfully
> printed the red hat printconf test page using a winblows 2000 print
> queue on a hp jetdirect.
>
> however, in my red hat apps, the only print that appears is not the one
> i want.  do you have to go into each app (evolution, navigator, etc) and
> define a printer or do it globally?

Normally, you set a default printer through the printconf-gui printer
configuration.  Then, when you print something through say, evolution,
or Mozilla, it will ask for a "printer command" ... just leave that as
the default "lpr."

If you have multiple printers or print queues, the command to select a
queue other than the default looks like:   lpr -Pqueuename .  (You can
also use queue "aliases" as specified in printconf-gui.)

What were your exact problems printing from an application like
mozilla?  Try typing "lpq" after printing something to see if it made it
to the local queue.  Also, can you print text or .ps files from the
command line?  (For example, "lpr < filename.txt" )

When using the Red Hat printer configuration tool, be sure to click
"Apply"  (maybe labeled "restart LPD" in earlier versions); otherwise
your changes won't take affect right away.

Also, see the documentation on printing on the Red Hat documentation
site.  It's generally very well-written.

Hope this helps,
Jeremy