[TriLUG] Diskless w/s for legacy DOS app?

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Wed Nov 13 13:06:02 EST 2002

because local port access is needed, the thin client approach may not be the
best (there are ways to access local ports with a thin client setup but it's
probably not worth the effort in this case, especially with dosemu).  so
we'll run the app locally on each workstation and use NFS to tie them
together for sharing the data, similar to using mapped drives under DOS.  the
trick is to avoid moving/breakable parts like hard drives.  so instead of
booting from a HD, set up the workstations with network booting (etherboot,
PXE, whatever) and load the OS that way.  that should provide the best of
both worlds - local running environment for the DOS app, centralized data
storage, and no moving parts on the workstations.

jason