[TriLUG] redhat 8 terminal session character weirdness

H. Wade Minter minter at lunenburg.org
Wed Nov 13 16:49:00 EST 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Doug Taggart wrote:

> I have one odd thing happening, I'm fairly sure someone on this list
> will be able to help.
> When I'm on the box remotely on a ms-win machine via securecrt things
> like man pages display
>
> ‐
> instead of
> - characters, and other character replacement oddities.

Try setting the variable LANG=c - I've noticed some weirdness with the
"internationalized" character set Red Hat 8 uses by default, too.

To test and see if that makes a difference, run:

minter at localhost$ LANG=c man tar

Or whatnot.

--Wade

--
If you have a VCR or MP3 player, you need to read these links:

http://www.digitalconsumer.org/
http://digitalspeech.org/
http://www.libertyboard.org/