[TriLUG] redhat 8 terminal session character weirdness

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Nov 13 17:24:18 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 16:49, H. Wade Minter wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Doug Taggart wrote:
>
> > I have one odd thing happening, I'm fairly sure someone on this list
> > will be able to help.
> > When I'm on the box remotely on a ms-win machine via securecrt things
> > like man pages display
> >
> > ‐
> > instead of
> > - characters, and other character replacement oddities.
>
> Try setting the variable LANG=c - I've noticed some weirdness with the
> "internationalized" character set Red Hat 8 uses by default, too.
>
> To test and see if that makes a difference, run:
>
> minter at localhost$ LANG=c man tar

Yeah, I am now by default putting LANG=C in my .bashrc

You can also switch the language to en_US in /etc/sysconfig/i18n and
reboot; this will make ALL of your applications go back to en_US instead
of UTF-8.

Turns out the problem with man is ultimately caused by a bash bug in
dealing with environment variables, or at least that's what it looks
like from the various bugzilla bugs...

This is a peril of a *.0 release from Red Hat...

--Jeremy