[TriLUG] tcpwrappers and imap

Stephen P. Schaefer sschaefer at acm.org
Sun Nov 17 19:14:02 EST 2002

Here's one bit to consider: the iptables is not the problem.  If
iptables were getting in the way, then tcpwrappers wouldn't even report
an attempted connection.

If I'm reading the man page correctly, xinetd is going to drop any
connection where the name returned by the IP address reverse lookup does
not match an  IP address of the that name, e.g., if the reverse lookup
of 10.90.132.1 returns foo.example.com, and the lookup of
foo.example.com does not have an IP address of 10.90.132.1, then the
connection gets dropped.  It's possible to compile xinetd not to behave
that way, but, again, the man page implies that this check is present on
Red Hat.  Does anyone know this more certainly?

iptables could potentially interfere with DNS, which could exacerbate
the above.

~    - Stephen