[TriLUG] kernel customizing question

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Sun Nov 17 22:02:25 EST 2002

Are you asking about the initrd image?  Something like
/boot/initrd-2.4.18-extraversion.img ?  If so, you never did that step,
which is why you don't have one.

You only need one of those if you have kernel modules that must be
accessed before the root filesystem is mounted; this is common for ext3
filesystems or SCSI devices.  If you're using ext2 and IDE drives, and
nothing else wacky, then you don't need an initrd image, and therefore
no corresponding initrd line in lilo.conf.  See the man page on
"mkinitrd" for how to create one; it's usually pretty easy.

If you run Red Hat Linux, you should consider following Red Hat's kernel
compilation guide, see here for the RHL 8.0 version:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/ch-custom-kernel.html

Other distributions may have their own docs/tips on compiling kernels.
Remember that in general you should check your distribution's
documentation before going to third-party web sites.

--Jeremy