[TriLUG] OS's and Arguments

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Tue Nov 19 10:22:19 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 10:03, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 19, 2002, at 09:25 AM, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
>
> > But, Chris, this discussion wasn't about Open Source software at
> > all.
>
> Hence the change in subject.  Would it be so offensive if I changed the
> subject, Tanner?

It wasn't offensive at all, Chris.  Yes, the topic should be properly
changed to what the message is about.  I admit I'm as bad as everyone
else about this too.

> >  It was about Apple's *closed source* (which if you do anything
> > "unauthorized" with it they'll hit you over the head with the DMCA
> > club) iDVD software.  Do you still think that's appropriate for
> > our users group?
>
> The point is moot, as has been pointed out before.  The only people who
> are griping about iDVD are the ones who don't have a legal right to use
> it anyway.
>
> It's like complaining that the Windows 98 OSR2 disk that your buddy got
> with his Dell won't run on your SPARCstation 5.

Oh, I see you're using the classic argument ending technique. :-)
Accuse your opponents of being thieves and hope they'll go away.
IIRC, the original grip wasn't about the inability to use iDVD.
In fact, it came from someone who didn't even own a Mac.  Rather,
they were dismayed by how Apple was using the DMCA.  This is
a legitimate point.

In addition, before that, the original question was about Linux
DVD burning software, and how it stacked up against Mac DVD burning
software.  Unfortunately, instead of getting good information,
it degenerated into a mess.

The view I get, as someone who doesn't have any Apple hardware at
all, is that some Apple owners tend to be more zealous than many
Linux users (not all mind you).  Any mention of something that looks
even vaguely negative about Apple is met by immediate messages
about how much better Apple is than everything else.  While this
may or may not be the case, the evangelizing can get a bit tiresome,
especially on a list that doesn't have anything to do with said
OS.

Cheers,
Tanner
--