[TriLUG] Kernel Compilation / Configuring Class

Brian Weaver weave at oculan.com
Tue Nov 19 14:13:50 EST 2002

I've got a question related to the kernel compilation / configuration
class. I've started looking at trying to build a linux system from
scratch. I've built the kernel many times, but I've never really been
happy with the current "interface" to set the kernel options.

One either has to use 'make config' or 'make xconfig' which gets either
a terminal prompt for options, or an X interface using TK (I think).

Does anyone know of any good "web" interfaces? I'd like one that listed
the options and included the readable help right inline with the ability
to select or deselect the option. Then when you finish just download the
config to a file.

I'm not trying to start a big bru-ha-ha, but I'd love to be able to have
hyperlinks to the often referenced documentation that the "help" for
individual kernel options always cite. Assuming that such a site doesn't
exists I'm actually interested in potentially building this. It might be
nice to be able to expand the help, cross reference, and even save
configuration remotely. Any thought?

-Weave

On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 12:29, Corey Mutter wrote:
> I would be happy to teach a kernel compilation / configuring class.
> Anytime in early December except the 7th or 11th is good for me.
>
> How long should the class be and what kind of things should it cover?
> I ask because:
>
> I make custom kernels for all my machines, and have been doing so
> since before loadable modules hit the scene (so one had to recompile
> one's kernel frequently). However, I am therefore blissfully ignorant
> of any way to compile that involves packaging systems, or any way to
> install that doesn't involve lilo.
>
> If everyone wants to compile from kernel.org tarballs, or if someone
> wants to team up with me to cover packages / grub, then that's not a
> problem.
>
> Corey

> TriLUG Organizational FAQ:

  "Microsoft, where quality is job 1.1" -Anonymous