[TriLUG] hard drive errors & fsck

Doug Kojetin djkojeti at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed Nov 20 09:54:03 EST 2002

for reference to the below:  i recently upgraded from RH 7.2 to 8.0

After upgrading (and formatting all but one partition that had data i wanted to save) ... it was reported that the partition i saved had "errors".  I had to run e2fsck manually ... and it found a ton of errors/froze half way through many times.

I reinstalled 7.2, ran e2fsck, and it found some errors (not as many) ... made it all the way through (i'm currently on the 2nd pass) ... and hopefully the data will be recoverable.

Do you think this is a filesystem issue (bad ext3; should i convert to ext2)?  Or kernel issue (since it will hopefully be resolved using RH 7.2 under an older kernel)?  Would it be best (if i can) to move the data to another computer and completely reformat all partitons while installing RH 8.0 ... then transfer the data back?  Has anyone had any similar filesystem issue using 8.0?

I've found a few documented problems similar to mine:

https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/ext3-users/2002-May/003559.html