[TriLUG] Hard Drive Clicks

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 20 19:48:26 EST 2002

John, I  know of a very old trick which will not harm the drive and which
may allow you to get it working so you can copy info from it. What you do is
put the hard drive in a thick plastic bag and put it in the freezer
overnight! What this does is slightly rearrange the internal bearings in the
drive. Then you take it out the next day, reinstall the drive in the
computer and cut the computer on. If it spins up, then you're in luck. The
next step is to copy all the information from it as quickly as possible (so
you want to have some software to accomplish this on hand!!). Sometimes in
the past we have even "fixed" drives like this so that they work as if
nothing was wrong with them. It's easy, cheap, and should not permanently
damage the drive. --Al Johnson.