[TriLUG] ipmasq horrors on switchover to cable modem

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Thu Nov 21 10:52:07 EST 2002

Thank you Dan for your help.  This is a report on the progress (80%
done) and also on what remains problematic.

First, the central problem turned out to be that the kernel upgrade
"magically" swapped eth0 and eth1. That, of course, screwed everything
else up.  So where eth1 used to point to the 3Com card attached to the
external network and eth0 pointed to 192.168.0.x, with the new kernel it
is the reverse. (Is there any way to control this?)

So, with the help below and after noticing that fact, I was able to bring
up the fully ipmasq'ed system with:

ifconfig eth1 inet 192.168.0.3 netmask 255.255.255.0
ifconfig eth0 up
pump -i eth1 (dhclient works equally well)
ipmasq

And it all works (and, by the way, my earthlink cable "feels" dramatically
faster than my telocity DSL did).

I'm still working on getting this to happen on boot, but that's less
important to me; the machine is on a UPS so it's very rare that it goes
down on its own, and even rarer that it does so when I'm not home but my
wife is. (Famous last words!)

Thanks again-
Andy

clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu