[TriLUG] Remote Console Access to X-Windows

Jim Ray jim at neuse.net
Fri Nov 22 10:09:20 EST 2002

http://www.realvnc.com <http://www.realvnc.com/>

-----Original Message-----
From: Jaimie Livingston [mailto:Jaimie.Livingston at haht.com]
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2002 9:58 AM
To: 'trilug at trilug.org'
Subject: [TriLUG] Remote Console Access to X-Windows

I've been tasked to find a secure solution to gaining remote X-Windows
console access to various systems running Linux (or OBSD, if you are so
inclined).

The stated goal is for someone to be able to securely access servers in
our datacenters worldwide from remote clients (a laptop running Windows
XP or RHL 8.0) and be able to interactively launch and use X-Windows if
desired and for whatever reason. The reasons have not been given to me,
so I can't answer questions about why anyone would want to do this on a
given server.

And yes, I am personally aware that any administrative task anyone would
need to do remotely can be done easier and faster via a text SSH
console.

I've been reading about various ways to do this, but before I go off and
start installing and experimenting, I was wondering if anyone has done
something similar and would be willing to share their experiences. I'd
be interested in hearing about what worked and what didn't, possible
gotcha's, recommendations for specific open source or commercial
clients, links to info I may not have found thru Google or the LDP, and
the like.

Jaimie Livingston
Systems Administrator
HAHT Commerce, Inc.