[TriLUG] Re: Remote Console Access to X-Windows

James Manning jmm at sublogic.com
Fri Nov 22 10:14:32 EST 2002

> [Jaimie Livingston]
>    I've been tasked to find a secure solution to gaining remote X-Windows
>    console access to various systems running Linux (or OBSD, if you are
>    so inclined).

an ongoing session that the connect/disconnect from? VNC - works fine.

no need for maintaining the session?  XDMCP should be fine.
Cygwin/XFree86 docs have nice examples and screenshots.

If this needs to be done "securely", I'd prob. just have both of those
services only listen on localhost and setup ssh/putty/whatever to do
the necessary port forwarding (-L 5900:localhost:5900 or whatever)

It'll be interesting to hear what others are doing :)

James
--
James Manning <http://www.sublogic.com/james/>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4