[Solved] Re: [TriLUG] Using remote font server (LTSP) with WordPerfect2000 for Linux?

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Fri Nov 22 13:39:45 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 15:05, Sinner from the Prairy wrote:
> Hi,

> I have a Linux Terminal Server (http://www.ltsp.org) running on Mandrake
> 9.0.  The speed on very low-end clients is just great. See some captures
> at http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/dibus/qvwm.png
> http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/dibus/qvwm2.png and
> http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/dibus/qvwm3.png

> I'm still working with sound, though. But this is a non-issue.

> Now, trying to run WordPerfect2000 for Linux I get fontserver problems.
> WP20004L works great on the local machine. But trying to use it from the
> clients always fails.

I've solved the issue thank you to the alt.os.linux.mandrake newsgroup.
The trick was by-passing the font-detecting code by Corel & stablish who
is the FontTastic server on the script.

Here's what I did:

I modified the  if ... then ... fi (a very long section) here:

# Add FontTastic font server to the font path.
# Font server is assumed to run on the same host as the X display.
xset q | grep 'tcp/.*:7102' >/dev/null
if [ $? -ne 0 ]
then

(... very long ...)

    fi
  fi
fi

so now it looks like this:

# Add FontTastic font server to the font path.
# Font server is assumed to run on the same host as the X display.
xset q | grep 'tcp/.*:7102' >/dev/null
if [ $? -ne 0 ]
then
        xset fp+ tcp/192.168.1.1:7102 2>/dev/null
fi

192.168.1.1 is the LTSP server.

I made sure that FonTastic font server was running and that's all.

WO20004LNX works remotely as well as it could work locally.

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/