[TriLUG] Feedback Request - Redhat 8.0 Stability

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Nov 26 10:12:17 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 10:02, Scott Chilcote wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Before I start updating my three fairly trustworthy installations of
> Redhat 7.2, I was wondering if anyone could provide feedback on how
> stable and reliable 8.0 has been.  Is there anything that will need
> immediate updating?  Any annoying problems?

Here's some things I've noticed with RHL 8 that count as annoying
problems:
* Problems with Unicode abound in various applications; solution is to
set LANG=C before running things like "man".
* Problems with rpm -- sometimes it will lock up and leave stale
lockfiles around.  You have to delete the locks before it will do
anything more.  I upgraded to the glibc out of rawhide which fixes this
for me.  It's not been an official errata though, so YMMV.
* The network config tool, and some of its supporting scripts, have some
minor bugs that make my laptop network setup annoying.  Probably won't
affect you.

Also, remember that RHL 8.0 is binary incompatible with previous
releases in various ways, mainly due to the gcc 3.2 instead of 2.96.  So
if you have a lot of custom stuff, be prepared to rebuild.

Besides that, I've found RHL 8 to be pretty stable/reliable.  But I've
only been using it on a laptop and one web server so far, and the server
is relatively unused.

> I've been using Ximian Gnome and Red Carpet to keep my current systems
> up to date.  Does anyone know whether they support Redhat 8 yet?

Can't comment on that; I use apt for RPM from freshrpms.net -- works
fine; I've also been testing up2date with a "current" server.  I've
never used Ximian Gnome myself, but I understand that it's hard to get
it to coexist/work with Red Hat's gnome packaging... dunno how that will
affect an upgrade.

--Jeremy