[TriLUG] Scanner recommendations

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Nov 26 20:20:01 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 18:38, Mike Mueller wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 November 2002 12:32, Michael Thompson wrote:
> > What brand/model scanner would be my best bet for Linux compatibility?
> > I have checked the sane web site and have selected a few models from
> > their list but was wondering if anyone on the list has any comments or
> > suggestions?  I don't do very much scanning, so I hope to find something
> > cheap.
>
> Read this:
>
> http://www.mostang.com/sane/index.html
>
> I am shopping for a scanner and a dig cam.  The USB links push Epson.  THey
> are expensive and kind of lagging in density compared with other brands.

Hi Mike,

I recently picked up the following:

  1) Adaptec 1460D PCMCIA SCSI card ($40 w/shipping from eBay)

  2) Mustek 600-II-CD SCSI scanner ($30 from a friend locally)

and the combo is quite nice.  You can see some results on my two most
recent photo albums which are linked from:

  http://www.eh3.com/

I'm only mentioning this to say that there are used SCSI scanners out
there that are quite cheap, will work nicely with SANE on Linux, and
produce good image quality on a range of media (prints and negatives).
While the Mustek unit isn't perfect (need to adjust gamma values for my
negatives), I'm very pleased with the results of this $70 spending
spree.

Good luck in your search for a suitable scanner!

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/edhill.php
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483