[TriLUG] Linux utility to return mac address

Ryan Leathers Ryan.Leathers at globalknowledge.com
Wed Nov 27 10:24:52 EST 2002

Well, that sorta depends on what remote means.  If you don't need a
router to get there then ARP is all you need.
On your Linux box type arp -a  to see the cache of mac to ip address
translations.

If you want to grab all of the ARP traffic on your network, then there
are a number of tools that can do this, not the least of which is
echolot  <http://echolot.sourceforge.net/>.  Ethereal and TCPdump are
able protocol analyzers and Kismet is a wireless analyzer all of which
can accomplish what you have requested (and much more) on a local
network.

If what you want is to discover MAC addresses from the distant side of a
router then you will either need to get interactive on that distant
network or get a client loaded there to do your bidding.

If you just want to detect ARP spoofing attacks then I suggest ACiD
<http://webteca.port5.com/ACiD.htm>

Ryan