[TriLUG] Oracle book recommendation?

Kevin Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Wed Nov 27 09:43:30 EST 2002

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 10:01:10AM -0500, Jeremy Portzer spoke thusly:
> I see that O'Reilly has an "Oracle in a Nutshell" book coming out next
> month.  I've always been impressed with the "Nutshell" series and will
> look for reviews of that when it comes out.  There are dozens of other
> Oracle books from O'Reilly, and of course dozens of other publishers, so
> it's a big daunting trying to figure out where to start!

I used the Oracle 8i DBA Handbook, but since most of the concepts
carried over to 9i, it was all good. Amazon lists the Oracle 9i DBA
Handbook for $41.99.

The O'Reilly PL/SQL and SQLPlus books kick much ass. If you do Oracle work, you
need to know PL/SQL and SQLPlus.

_SQL - The Complete Reference_ is an awsome beginner's book. Yes, it
has some errors, but it has side-by side examples from most major SQL
databases, so you can easily apply what you know about, say, MySQL to
Oracle, since it illustrated both ways of doing things.

I've got a *PILE* of good SQL books at home - most of them talk about
Oracle, since Oracle is *THE* Enterprise database right now.

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --