[TriLUG] my latest kernel attempt

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Sun Dec 1 10:23:21 EST 2002

Whoa. I didn't see this one until I got back from turkey day.
Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Greg Brown wrote:

<<SNIP>>

> make bzImage
>
> make modules
>
> make modules_install

Here, you install modules in /lib/modules/2.4.18-3custom-greg.

> mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.18-3custom-greg.img 2.4.18-3

At this point, you have /boot/initrd-2.4.18-3custom-greg.img, built with
modules from the /lib/modules/2.4.18-3 tree, which might work, depending
on the size of the diff between the two source trees, but is probably not
what you wantrd to do. However, this shouldn't affect lilo, which doesn't
do a whole lot of error checking beyond "is it there?".

> 	Added 2.4.18-3c
> 	Fatal: No images have been defined.

This generally means that the file /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-3custom-greg
doesn't exist. Double check that you haven't typo'd the file name in
lilo.conf. Also, when you edit lilo.conf, unless you're 150% sure that you
want to only boot your new kernel, you generally want to leave an old
working entry intact. It also helps you make sure you have proper syntax.

> upon reboot of machine
>
> uname -a
> Linux paloverde 2.4.18-3 #1 Thu Apr 18 07:32:41 EDT 2002 i686 unknown

Yup. Lilo changes don't take effect unless the lilo process runs without
failures.

Hopefully the kernel class in December will help make this process fairly
straightforward. :)

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa(a)redhat*com> Red Hat Sales Engineer
Sair Linux and GNU Certified Administrator (LCA)
Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)
GPG: D786 8B22 D9DB 1F8B 4AB7  448E 3C5E 99AD 9305 4260

The words and opinions reflected in this message do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer, Red Hat, and belong solely to me.

"Immature poets borrow, mature poets steal." --- T. S. Eliot