[TriLUG] Hardware: Most reliable IDE HD brand?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun Dec 1 19:02:05 EST 2002

On Sun, 2002-12-01 at 16:35, B. Evans wrote:
> It used to be that IBM drives were widely regarded as the most reliable
> consumer IDE hd's you could buy.  I haven't paid too much attention to
> this area lately but would like an idea of who makes the most reliable
> IDE hd.

Be warned: IDE drives have become a commodity with razor-thin margins
and, probably as a result, all manufacturers are currently switching to
1-yr instead of 3-yr warranties.

I've had excellent luck with IBM drives but they're in the process of
exiting the IDE HD business (selling that division).  I hear that the
current Maxtor and Western Digital drives are good but due to past
experiences with WD (mid-90's) I'll never knowingly buy another of
theirs.  And Fujitsu had a bad production run in the last year--see past
issues of the Inquirer (http://www.theinquirer.net/) for details.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/hill.htm
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483