[TriLUG] Hardware: Most reliable IDE HD brand?

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Sun Dec 1 20:33:09 EST 2002

B. Evans [bpevans at bellsouth.net] wrote:

> Doesn't sound like a very good situation these days.  I ask because I
> want to setup a cheap RAID 0 file server.   I really need only about 4gb
> so size isn't an issue.  Would a SCSI RAID0 system be any more reliable
> for near the same cost?

Er, you're setting up RAID0 and worried about reliability?  Do you maybe
mean RAID1?

RAID0 is striping.  No redundancy.  It's fast, but if you loose one
drive in the stripe, you loose -all- data.  So if you think about it,
RAID0 is actually -worse- for reliability than a single drive.

Now, what's the purpose of the file server?  You actually might want to
consider RAID1, if you're after reliability.  It's a little slower on
writes than a single drive and slower than RAID0 on writes, but it's as
fast (or faster) than a single drive on reads and if you loose one
drive, you keep on chugging (no data loss).  You can even have a hot
spare and if one drive fails, the hot spare will be automagically
swapped in.  If you're looking at 4GB, you can get SCSI drives of that
size relatively cheap. Buy three 4GB drives and a card and off you go.

Mike
--
"Would you like to take advantage of wiretap Wednesdays?"
     -- Fed on Sealab 2021