[TriLUG] question for the Debian folks

Michael Alan Dorman mdorman at debian.org
Mon Dec 2 12:42:23 EST 2002

"Greg Brown" <gregbrown at mindspring.com> writes:

> What is a "Debian Potato"?  Is it a small Debian distribution suitable for
> use in development of an embedded system or is it a specific Debian relase
> (like 1.2, 4.3, whatever).

"Potato" was the development codename for what became the Debian 2.1
release.  We use codenames during development because of an incident
many years ago where an overzealous CD manufacturer mistakenly pressed
a "Debian 1.0" cd simply because they saw a "1.0" directory---even
though it was still under development.

I *think* there is a either a sub-project or a separate effort using
Debian in embedded situations, but I'm not familiar with it and don't
have any pointers.

Mike.